Friday, December 24, 2010

tireless intensity

I received an interesting compliment earlier this week--at least I think it was a compliment.....

After a concert with the quintet, a friend came up, shook my hand, and said:
"Dennis, you have an amazingly tireless intensity about you."

He went on to talk about how many things I'm involved with that have influence on others. That thought has stuck with me through the week. Yes, I do a lot of things, but never think about breadth of duties, only about being helpful. Our time here is only truly validated by our ability to serve others. Surely, we do have to take care of ourselves, our families, etc. But the true mission in life is to serve. If we lose sight of that and it becomes too much about us, then life loses purpose and we move about aimlessly.  (this is not idle observation--I've wandered around in circles many times in my life!) But I digress, and don't want to be preachy--

It is oh-so-easy to wear down, get exhausted, become negative, etc. when we go full bore all the time--obviously we need some respite, some "something" that allows us us to recharge.  This December, I've had a pleasant traveling companion as I've driven to and fro to quintet concerts--I asked one of my students, Brock, to put together a compilation cd of his favorite holiday music.  (now mind you, this guy loves Christmas music--he has something like 500 hours of it on his itunes) (or something like that--I do know he has a minimum of 90 min. of just "Silent Night")  The cd he gave me is an amazing grouping of new and old, indie and pop, traditional and fringe.  This, for me, has been a wonderful respite during my travel time. Two settings, in particular, I keep going back to.  (the tunes themselves were always favorites of mine)

In the Bleak Midwinter has such a wonderful feel to it as a carol, and this setting great, with a bit of an updated twist, but doesn't lose the nature of the tune....



Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming is just a gorgeous hymn.  Again, this one just charms and challenges me.



Playing as many concerts, taking part in so many services, it's been far too easy for me to become jaded with the "same old, same old" in regards to many things over the years.  I'm reminded that we must find ways to renew ourselves and avoid the same old, same old in order to be able to function at our highest levels.

Thank you all for being a part of my life--I hope you all will be able to rest, relax, and enter 2011 with a new sense of tireless intensity!

dwa

No comments: