Thursday, June 3, 2010

on being real

often, I think, we live our lives as we feel others expect us to.  this in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, but we run the risk of missing out on sharing our inner selves.  i'm not suggesting in any way that we should run around and wear our hearts on our sleeves--that drives everyone crazy--but that we shouldn't fear being honest about how we do what we do and shouldn't necessarily worry about being judged.

i love the idea of teaching tuba/euphonium at the college level--i feel i can help players get better, but even more importantly as i work with future educators, i also have the privilege and opportunity to help them figure out why they want to teach, why that's important, etc.  i won't say that i succeed with every student, but i certainly give it a good go.  when asked to state my philosophy of teaching, my primary statement regards helping students learn to teach themselves. that's what my teachers did for me and therefore what needs to be passed on.  that's about as open as i can be about what i do.

recently, I've been struck by other open & honest situations. I mentioned in a blog last week during the ITEC how much Jim Self's performance meant to me--just laying it out there, with no worries of how it would be judged.  that's just badass, in my opinion. i don't have video or audio, but wish i did, so i could share.

two other examples for sharing, just performances that lay it out there, with no real concern about acceptance

Dennis Hopper (RIP) on the Johnny Cash show, reciting Kipling's "If"


Johnny Cash (also RIP) with his version of NIN's "Hurt". 


certainly, we do need to be concerned with how what we do effects others, but overall, we need to be as true to ourselves as we can.